Monday, April 7, 2008

Living the Naija Way!



Since my arrival in Lagos on 27 March, I have had the pleasure of living with a very nice Nigerian family. There is Pastor Samson, his wife Lizzy, their adorable 3-month old baby girl Christabell and Pastor's mother, Mamma! They have a three-bedroom house out of which I am occupying one room. My room is very airy with two windows facing each other so there a constant breeze [NEPA the power company is jokingly called "Never Expect Power Again"]. I have a mattress, a table and 2 chairs. I am also very lucky to get many things from the previous VSO volunteer in my organisation--pots, pans, cutlery, cups, plates, glasses, iron [just like our Indian one], a gas stove, a standing fan!

The family is quite adorable, I eat with them once in a while [when I am not eating my favourite Indomie noodles: Nigerian "maggi"]...they keep me great company, I watch TV with them [we watch american soaps, Mexican soaps dubbed in English, Nigerian films, Who wants to be a millionaire?"]! They make me feel very much at home and I feel very safe when I sleep at night! Luckily for me, Nigerian mosquitos dont seem to have a liking for Indian blood:)

And an added bonus, I am invited to attend their weekly service on Wednesdays and Sundays in their backyard, where they study the Bible and talk about Christianity! Quite educational!

1 comment:

  1. That's great Mana!
    I am so glad you have found a hospitable family to stay with!
    We are quite desolate without you here... Miss you!
    Have fun!
    Swati

    ReplyDelete